TransPennine Express (TPE) has confirmed rail improvements to take place across the North as part of its ‘transformational’ new timetable.
Additional services will be introduced to enhance connectivity as part of the Great North Rail Project.
– TPE will operate on a new route from Manchester Victoria to Liverpool Lime Street (via Newton-le-Willows and Lea Green) reducing the journey time from 52 to 35 minutes.
– There will be two fast TPE services every hour between Newcastle and Manchester, which will call at York, Leeds and Huddersfield.
– TPE will begin operating six trains every hour across the Pennines between Leeds, Huddersfield and Manchester. Two per hour will call at intermediate stations between Manchester and Leeds.
– Hourly evening services between Hull and Manchester will be introduces, as well as more services on Sundays from Middlesbrough and Hull, and earlier/later services on weekdays from Scarborough to Middlesbrough.
– Services to and from Scotland will run direct between Preston and Manchester Piccadilly, no longer calling at Wigan North Western and Manchester Oxford Road.
– TPE services will no longer operate on the route via Birchwood, Warrington Central or Liverpool South Parkway.
The changes will be in effect as of 20 May 2018.