Subscribe to
our newsletter
Subscribe to our newsletter today and be the first to know the lastest news, offers and useful tips.
Please fill in the form below
Talk to Us...
Speak to one of our experts today.
Contact Us
+ 44 (0) 191 285 0346

    Please fill in the form below

    Latest Updates

    11th Oct 2019

    Brexit Travel Advice

    While there remains a high level of uncertainty around the outcome of Brexit, both the European Commission and the British Government have given assurances that UK citizens will still be able to travel to the EU after 31 October, even in the event of a no-deal scenario.

    In the event that a deal is agreed, we will enter a transition period whereby all travel will remain as is until December 2020. Even if this is not the case, flights will still go ahead, coaches and ferries will still operate as normal and most train services will remain unchanged.

    However, there are some precautions you may have to take if you’re planning to visit on EU country after 31 October, particularly if the government does not secure a deal. Below are the essential details and you can find a link to further information at the bottom of the article.

    Passports: Make sure that your passport is valid for at least six months at time of entry. If necessary, renew your passport well in advance of travel (average turnaround is three weeks). NB. Even if the UK leaves without a deal, UK citizens will be able to visit the EU for up to 90 days within a 180-day period without a visa.

    Health: In the event of a no-deal exit, European Health Insurance Cards (EHIC) will not be valid. Ensure that you take out travel insurance which covers all of your medical needs.

    Driving: If the UK leaves the EU without a deal, you may need to apply for an international driving permit, depending on your destination and the length of your visit. (See the link below for full details.) In addition, a no-deal scenario would necessitate drivers acquiring and carrying a physical Green Card in order for UK car insurance to be valid when driving in the EU. The UK government is also advising that drivers will need a GB sticker in their cars after Brexit.

    For full details on the above and further information relating to travelling with pets, insurance and data roaming, please visit the ABTA website.

    If you have any questions or concerns about your travel plans, please contact us on 0191 285 0346 or email and we’ll be happy to assist.

    Back to overview

    Also from Travel Bureau...